Sunday, August 30, 2009

On Being Resourceful

re·source·ful (r-sôrsfl, -srs-, -zôrs-, -zrs-)


adj.


Able to act effectively or imaginatively, especially in difficult situations.
...  


 Yesterday I was invited last minute to a birthday party for a friends 3 yr old boy. 




"Don't bring anything" I'm told
 


And I tried... I really did to consider.  After all, the drive is 2 1/2 hours and I've got 4 kids.  I could think of a million things I'd rather do than be trapped in the car with my kids listening to the backyardigans over and over... she owes me right?  But I just couldn't do it!  I couldn't show up to a birthday party empty handed...
 


...plus I was really dying to try out a new craft.
 
 
So I pulled out the some scrap fabric, the freezer paper and dug up a couple tutorials from my list and voila!
 
 


I started with the super cute tie shirt and used a tutorial from Crap I've Made's blog.  I started, thinking this should be quick and super easy until I realized I had no fusible web. 

Crap. 

 I'm not going to Walmart right now and I don't feel like doing this the old fashioned way...  So I dug through my boxes of sewing stuff and found a few small scraps of stitch witchery.  It was just barely enough to cover the tie and hankie. 

So I ironed it on and then I zig zagged around it.  Done.




Next I did the dino shirt.  I used the tutorial on Neither Hip Nor Funky's blog and found the stencil for free on stencilry.net

 I started rounding up my supplies for this fun project:

T-shirt... check
acrylic paint... check
freezer paper and iron ... check check
X-acto...

Crap again. 

 I've been meaning to buy one and instantly start cursing my husband (in my head of course) while I dig through his tool box to find his box cutter that is completely bladeless.  Sick joke right?   

So I do what any sensible woman does and grab my seam ripper and poke holes in the paper over an old pillow. 


It wasn't the easiest way to do it and it didn't make for the cleanest lines but HEY it worked!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...