Sunday, April 17, 2011

He gets 2 birthdays?!


source: brightside studio


I try to read to my boys before bedtime.  I don't always have time to.  Some times I let them watch an extra cartoon instead of reading so I have more time to clean, sew, fold laundry... etc.


But when I make time for it, I'm usually happy I did.


Lately we've been running out of books though.  We've already read through there entire children's Bible a couple of times, finished The Swiss Family Robinson's and all of the other books they own.  And we owe the library some horrific amount of a fine... seriously it's baaaad.


So last night we picked up their children's Bible again and I decided to read them the Easter story again.  But this time I really broke it down for them.  I really wanted them to understand what is going on and why we are celebrating Easter.


I explained in the simplest of terms possible for my 6, 5 & 3 year olds and when I finished Mikey excitedly asked "So it's like Jesus' birthday again... He gets two birthdays?!"


 Ummm... kinda... yeah sure!  Why not?



We talked about what we could do to celebrate His birthday.  Mikey noted that on my birthday we go shopping because that's what I like to do.  So I asked what does Jesus like to do?  What might He do if his body were still here?

The boys were stumped and quiet for a bit before Elijah quietly said "love people... Jesus likes to love people"

And so my boys decided for Jesus' other birthday we would do what Jesus loved to do more than anything... 


source: persimmon&pink


We brainstormed for a bit about how we could do this in a big way.  We talked about being Jesus' hands and feet since His are no longer here on Earth.  We got some crazy ideas like buying giraffes for kids with no parents to help them get things down from really high places (I'm not making this up folks) and some really really sweet ideas like making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for everyone who doesn't have food.


source: animalia.tumblr.com


We ended the night with kisses and prayers and promised to spend more time brainstorming how to love for Him on Easter.



If you have suggestions for something I can do with a small group of little ones (or maybe just the oldest 2?) please share!  I'd love to hear it!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this so much! Giraffes for kids with no parents....that is just one of the most precious things I have ever heard. So, so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! I don't think you homeschool but even so, you can get some great ideas at SimplyCharlotteMason.com They have forumns where you can ask questions, and with CM this is something that is sort of considered a part of the curiculumn I guess you could say, I know I have read some really great ideas over the years, but right now my mind is a blank....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE.
    I can't think of any great suggestions off the top of my head, but Cheri at I Am A Momma Hear Me Roar did a whole bunch of cool stuff with her boys as part of an advent thing, you might be able to find some ideas there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word this is sooo neat! I don't have any ideas off the top of my head but I love that you guys were brain storming. Can I ask what children's bible you use? I've been looking for a good one for my munchkins

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is crazy I was just checking out your blog from the 2001 reunion page when I got an email alert saying you had commented on my blog! I don't really remember you from school, but for some reason I do remember your husband... lol Anyways, I just wanted to drop by and return the greeting!! I am following your blog now, so you will probably see me around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can try small by making them do something nice for each other since "charity start at home" or go visit an elderly who could use some loving...Those are some I can think of.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...