Friday, April 22, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Fabric Edition WEEK 1

Okay everyone!  The time has come!  Our contestants did an amazing job and used a total of 66 yds of fabric between them! 


This week's theme was Wildflower & Whimsy.  Check out their creations to see how they were inspired and vote for your favorite!

#1 -- 25.5 yds

Girly duvet and bunting

Matching curtains

Matching Dresses

#2 -- 15.5 yds

 Chair slipcover and love seat slipcover

 Curtains for living room, dining room & my daughters room.

 Back door window sash

These are some long-awaited projects. The ones that make you think 'oh, I really need to take care of that!', and then the fabric sits just waiting...and the poor lonely sewing machine. That thing probably had two inches of dust!! I haven't had the thing out since making a nursing cover close to three months ago. And before that, embroidery for Christmas gifts... I have a decent excuse, I think...well, four of them. ha!!

#3 -- 7.25 yds

When I first heard the theme, I immediately knew I wanted to use some of my florals and bright colored fabrics that reminded me of the circus (whimsical, right?)  So the theme is reflected in my fabric choices.

Eventually, I want to re-do the entire baby room corner but until free time is more abundant, I'll have to take it a few steps at a time.  So far, I was able to make my daughter's name in rosette letters and matching bumper pads.  

I have an oddly sized IKEA crib that has solid wood on both ends, so bumpers that are connected tend not to fit well.  My solution was to make a six piece set that tie on individually.  The front panels are ruffled and the backs are covered in a vintage floral, that definitely screams 'wildflower' to me.

I knew I wanted her whole name in the room, and love the way these turned out with the 2 different fabric colors.  Letters can get really expensive, so I was glad to find a way to make beautiful letters out of things I had on hand.  In case you are wondering, there are over 175 rosettes in her name.  Thats my excuse for not completing more for her room this week.

#4 -- 6.5 yards

Here are my projects for this week!  I have to say, this was so much fun, and great motivation to sew!  I had no idea I could get so much sewing accomplished in a week (especially when I spent a 12 hour day volunteering at a school event on Saturday...just think what I could do with a free week-end...)    :)

My projects began with a whimsical (and flower-filled) fabric which was just begging to be turned into a fun top.  I then created several wardrobe pieces around the top, and added more wildflowers and whimsy with a few more floral fabrics and yo-yo trims.  The cropped pants and floral top were both made from Ottobre patterns.  This was only my second time making pants and I learned a lot! The knit top underneath is a BurdaStyle pattern and the bag is from the book "Sew Liberated" by Meg McElwee.  I made my own bias tape and piping for the bag, added an inside pocket, and used vintage buttons as flower centers on both the bag and pants. 

#5 -- 6.25 yds

Shirt - - the fabric said "wildflowers and whimsy" to me, but by the time it was appliqued on, you couldn't see much of the fabric - oh well!  This used a scrap of fabric from a charm pack and one Tshirt from my huge stash of blank-tshirts-just-in-case.

Tulle Bedskirt - - I have  A TON of tulle in my stash - and tulle is "whimsy" to me so I knew I wanted to use it.  I thought it would be great to use as a bedskirt in my girls' room - to hide all their junk.  I cut the tulle into strips and tied them onto the bed - it took a bunch of tulle - 6 yards (3 plain white and 3 sparkle).  I was going to glue on flowers of tulle, but the wadded up pink tulle didn't look right, so I just left the bedskirt plain.

#6 -- 5 yds 

 Here is my entry for week one.  My take on the theme Wildflowers and Whimsy is a Wildflowers and Whimsy Picnic Blanket.  I used 2.5 yards of fabric and 2.5 yards of batting from my stash for this project.  I purchased the nylon batting just for this project.

I have had a picnic blanket on my project list for a while.  I'm so thrilled to have one done now that I can put in my car and use for lots of family picnics this summer.  One thing I love about this picnic blanket is that it is plenty big for all four of us and even a couple friends to comfortably sit on.   Plus we can use it even if the grass is damp because the backside is waterproof!!

#7 -- 7 yds

WhooHoo! I finished the first project! I decided to make a Wildflowers and Whimsy TeePee or as my little one called it a PeeTee. So here it is..

I made this from a king size duvet cover that I have had stashed forever.

I whimsied it up with some appliques.

Added a ruffle.  All done.

So my yardage totals were 5 yards for the body and pole slots, 1 yard for lining the front flaps, and a little over 1 yard for the appliques. So that's a grand total of 7 yards used up. YAY! The best part way I only purchased the ric rac for the stems and the poles for the tent all that was only $18. I had so much fun thank you for having me!

Pretty impressive huh?

#1 used the most fabric... 25.5 yds... Holy Batman!  So she automatically goes on to week 2!

Congrats! Now hurry up and vote for your favorite!  The polls close Sunday night @ 11:59!

Oh and don't forget to hop over to Wildflower's & Whimsy later today to enter the giveaway for some free patterns so you can start taking down your own stash!!

This weeks challenge brought to you by:


  1. All the contestants did a great job!

  2. Wow! Amazing projects! I am so thrilled to be competing with these talented gals! Thanks!

  3. I was sure I'd vote for the Sophie bedding, but the teepee had me at Hello. Great, now I'll HAVE to make a teepee!!!

  4. I had a really tough time deciding between 4 and 7. All the projects looked great.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...